Welcome!

This blog originally started life on another website, but has been transferred here in its entirity. It charts my experiences during a year of working as a surgeon in Kiwoko Hospital, Uganda - a rural mission hospital in the middle of the infamous Luwero Triangle, devastated during the civil war of the 1980s.

You might need to read the blog entries from the beginning of 2007 to get a full understanding of life as a Developing World Surgeon. The more recent posts are some more infrequent reflections! Enjoy, Steve

Saturday 13 January 2007

Back in Africa...

I’m actually writing this on Wednesday evening, having arrived in Uganda this morning. The last couple of days have been a bit hectic, so it’s been good to actually get here, and realise that this is home for the next twelve months.

Things in Edinburgh went fine before I left. I had a fantastic evening with friends on my last night in the UK – I was really touched by just how many people came out to say goodbye (although I had advertised it for people to come and celebrate me going as well as to say goodbye!).

Yesterday turned out well too – I was a bit unsettled in the morning, as I got everything finally packed. Once we got to the airport, my mood lifted completely, probably as a result of witnessing God’s blessing once again. I was expecting problems with excess luggage, but when I said I had one big bag, a guitar and a bike to check in, the only response was: “No problem”! In fact check-in was so quick that I was able to leave the airport and go to my parents for an hour or so, thus allowing me to say goodbye to them properly.

My flight and connections went very well. Unfortunately I was supposed to meet up with Mairi, a doctor from Newcastle, but her flight down was delayed and she missed the connection. She has to hang around London for 48 hours as the flights out are only every couple of days. My luggage all arrived securely (other than a dent in my guitar case – marked fragile!), and I was collected by one of the hospital staff.

It’s been great to arrive here at Kiwoko itself. So much is familiar from ten years ago, but there has been major building work, and the place is about three times the size it was. I was immediately taken for lunch from some of the other ex-pats, and am having dinner tonight with some more – I think the plan is to get invited out for every meal until I get a chance to get to Kampala for a proper food shop.

My accommodation here is superb too – A two-bedroom semi bungalow to myself, with electricity, running water and shower (cold), and plenty of space. It’s practically new, with only a couple living here for a few months until Christmas. They’ve kindly left all sorts of furnishings so I’ll have very little extra stuff to get.

I just have to make mention before I leave this, that it’s really pleasantly warm here (high 20s), with bright sunshine until at least 7pm. Quite a contrast from cold, wet, windy Scotland, and even more so from Austria’s skiing last week! I’m looking forward to a good year!

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment